Thursday, February 27, 2014

Recollections: real & rose-colored

As Ben moves further into a more delightful and happily-independent little-boyhood, I've been thinking a lot about the different stages he's already gone through, as well as his birth. I've been feeling pretty sad that his birth was so far from the "ideal birth" I'd imagined, and worrying about what I was eventually going to tell him about his birth. I want his birth story to be joyful and magical, but I also want to avoid out-right lying to Ben, ever. 
The other day I looked back over my early blog posts about Ben's birth, and I was reminded of some of the facts that I'd mentally tucked away (or completely forgotten). Not only did I have a unwanted, frightening C-section (because labor did not progress after 16 hours post induction), but I also developed Preeclampsia during birth (where blood pressure sky-rockets to seizure-dangerous levels). The hospital gave me magnesium sulfate for the preeclampsia before the birth and for at least a day after the birth. No wonder I felt like everything was a scary, blurry haze until about a day after Ben was born. It helps to be reminded a lot of that was drug-induced!

Anyway, after being inspired by reading some beautiful stories other c-section moms told their children, I decided to see what I could do to make ben's birth story happy AND true. Writing, thinking, reconsidering, and re-writing about his birth was one of the most healing experiences I've had. (Plus, I love painting and crafting!) 

Now I have something special to read Ben about his birth that makes me think of it in a new perspective too! (see video link below for whole book)

Ben's birth book


... On another topic, Ben has been learning to blow his nose. He's trying it out on tissues, the couch, and (my "favorite") on his boiled eggs from breakfast!

Indiana Ben and the Temple of Lost Toys

wanted to try a big-boy swing; a little unsure about the actual experience

no need to go to the real rodeo when you can ride a cat for free!

my two favorite people

coloring "with" mama

1 comment: