Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Good-bye sweet sleep (I loved you well)

For the last two weeks Benjamin had been sleeping for longer and longer extended periods-- up to seven and a half hours at a stretch this weekend! Then for no apparent reason the last two nights he's gone back to 3 to 4 hour long stretches at night, and I have to say it is not fun.

Somehow I'd let myself believe that we'd crossed some sort of milestone and there was no going back. I think that's one of the hard things about parenting: not knowing what the next 5 minutes, 5 days, or 5 hours might hold. He might sleep happily tonight or he might scream for three hours. (Last night I started trying to get him ready for bed at 10:30 and he didn't fall asleep until around 1:00. He even needed walking around the dark house in the baby backpack at one point-- which he hadn't needed for about a month). I'm someone who likes to finish a project once it's started (even if it's just the ironing!), so I'm definitely learning to be more flexible and sleep deprived. Knowing this infant phase is very temporary helps, of course. Oh, and when he smiles that makes it all okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment